What is Epidermal Levelling?
Epidermal Levelling also known as dermaplaning, is a safe, painless and highly effective clinical treatment designed to evenly and deeply exfoliate the skin of the face and back. This treatment may be performed every 4 to 6 weeks.
It improves the texture of the skin, reduces fine fair facial hair and helps significantly enhance the penetration of active products, such as retinols, lactic & salicylic acids and vitamin c.
Epidermal Levelling uses a specially designed scalpel blade to safely scrape the dead skin from your face. It tends to remove slightly more skin than microdermabrasion and also has the advantage of removing any annoying facial hair. It is an excellent preparation for peels and can also be a stand alone procedure.
What areas can be treated?
Epidermal levelling can be done on the face, forearms and back. Epidermal levelling performed on the back helps to reduce the bacterial colony existing around the follicles contributing to back acne.
Why is Epidermal Levelling important?
Epidermal Levelling is an integral part of all skin care routines as it provides the following benefits:
- removal of dead cell build up
- minimises congestion and pore blockage
- increases the rate of new cell turnover in the deeper levels of the skin
- stimulates the production of the skin’s own collagen and elastin
- increases absorption of active skin products (Vitamins A, C etc)
What does the treatment involve?
The skin is cleansed thoroughly and then degreased to ensure there is no residual oil remaining on the skin. The skin is held tight and the blade is scraped across the skin at a 45 degree angle. Once this is completed a peel rich in anti oxidants, Pomegranate is applied to the skin. This may tingle initially, but resides quickly.
What type of skin conditions are best suited for Epidermal Levelling?
- sun damaged, blotchy skin
- fine lines
- Acne (grade 1 & 2) and congested skin
- thickened (hyper keratinised) skin
- diffuse redness and rosacea (due to stimulation of collagen and dermal thickening)
- Epidermal levelling helps to prevent ingrown hairs and shaving rash in men.
How long does the procedure take?
The treatment takes approximately 45 minutes, this is including the application of a peel.
What are the additional benefits of Levelling?
- enhances activity and penetration of active home maintenance products for 4 to 6 weeks
- removes fine velous hair (does NOT grow back thicker)
- removes superficial Solar Keratoses
- enhances results of CosMedix Purity & Timeless peels (10 days prior)
- ideal same day prep for SKYN Clinical Facials using Pure Enzymes, Pomegranate and Custom masks
What conditions are NOT suited to Levelling?
- persons with any form of skin inflammation or trauma (e.g. pustular Acne, cold sores, sunburn)
- persons with dark skin tone
- persons with keloid scars
- $150 per treatment including CosMedix Pomegranate Peel
- $130 without CosMedix Pomegranate Peel