It is believed that as much as 80% of premature ageing of the skin may occurs within the first 20 years of life. Skin biological starts aging at the age of 14-15. At the age of 28-30 the first signs of ageing appear. There are two different types of aging, Intrinsic ageing caused by genes we inherit, which is actually natural skin ageing. The other, caused by environmental factors such as sun exposure, smoking, alcohol, repetitive facial expression and so on, is called Extrinsic ageing and is in reality premature skin ageing.
Intrinsic (chronological) aging accounts for about 10% of all skin aging and is characterised by thinning of the skin, loss of elasticity and a decreased metabolic activity. Extrinsic accounts for the other 90% of skin aging happens as a result of photoaging which causes damage to the skin, resulting in collagen and elastin degeneration, dilatation of the small vascular vessels, deposition of abnormal elastin and collagen, and increased skin pigmentation.
EXTRINSIC AGEING (FREE RADICALS)
Free radicals are the main culprits commonly implicated in causing skin aging. Oxygen and nitrogen free radicals are produced by smoking, environmental pollution, less than adequate nutrition, pesticides and other chemicals in food and alcohol, and most importantly, from UV radiation exposure upon the skin. When UV radiation interacts with the skin, it produces an excessive amount of free radicals, which destroy collagen, elastin and other proteins in the skin. UV radiation also interacts with the DNA inside skin cells causing further damage by allowing faulty DNA to replicate. In this way, imperfect DNA transcription and defective protein formation is perpetuated. This in turns results in visual and clinical signs including dryness, wrinkles, accentuated skin furrows, sagging, loss of elasticity, and mottled pigmentation, and are the result of degenerative changes in elastin and collagen. The risk of skin cancer is also considerably increased.
THE TYPES OF FACIAL AGEING
- Skin – Texture, tone and pigmentation
- Volume – Facial Fat and Countours
- Muscle – Dynamic and Static Wrinkle
- Bone – Support and foundation